It hurts when you set your mind on something and don’t get it — and this is the reality for a lot of Nigerian students who didn’t get the course they wanted to study. If you went through this, you will definitely relate to this:
1. You, filling out your JAMB form confident that you will get your preferred course
My childhood dream is about to come true.
2. When you write UTME and Post-UTME and you beat the university and department cut off marks
You people are not ready!
3. But you receive your admission letter and find out that the university is offering you another course
Wait, what? But I wanted Law
4. You, wondering how you will tell your friends that you didn’t get the course you were so sure was yours
How did this even happen?
5. When you realise that you have two options: accept the offer or wait another year at home
What’ all this nonsense?
7. But you can’t bear the thought of spending another year with your parents
8. And most of your friends are already in school
I can’t carry last
9. So, you accept the offer with plans to get a great CGPA so you can switch departments at the end of your first year
All I have to do is read, get a 5.0 CGPA and get out of here.
10. But you started writing tests and getting grades that could ruin your self-esteem
Ha! What’s happening. How can I get 17/100?
11. Then you realise that the course is not that bad and you’re beginning to like the department
Oh, you devil, I cast and bind you.
12. It’s now the end of the session and you’ve decided that switching to another department is not worth the stress
This is where I belong, biko.
13. You, when someone asks you why you’re still in the department
But what’s your own?