For people who were raised by overprotective parents, it was almost impossible to catch a break. If this was you, we hope this post won’t trigger you.
1. You, practising a speech before you tell them you want to visit a friend
“I love you, and I know you love me too. Please let me go out before I kill myself.”
2. How they react when you finally tell them
This house is not big enough for you to play in?
3. Or worse, when you tell them that a friend wants to visit you
Do they not have their own house?
4. When they finally let you out with clear instructions that you return before 4 PM
5. When you check your phone and find 30 missed calls notifications from your mum
Heh, I’m in danger.
6. When they call your friends, their parents, and your school every time they couldn’t reach you
What’s all this for God’s sake?
7. When a friend from the opposite gender asks to visit you
We don’t do that here.Don’t put me in trouble, abeg.
8. You, when you catch them eavesdropping on your phone conversations
Do you mind?
9. When they try to convince you that you can talk to them about anything
So, you can use it against me later, abi?
10. You, when they send you to your room as punishment
Are you people really my parents?
11. How they look at you when you try to rebel
Look at this child oh.
12. When you grow older and they’re like they did everything because they love you
A round of applause. Take your medals.