L-R: Tomiwa Aladekomo, CEO, Big Cabal Media; Adaora Mbelu, Founder, Lumination Global Network; Femi Akinfolarin, Head, Corporate Strategy, Wema Bank and Funmilayo Falola, Head, Marketing Communications and Investor Relations, Wema Bank to speak at the second edition of the ALAT Talk Series today, August 26, 2021, at 4:00 pm.
After spending your precious time strategising, planning and moving in silence (we know because we saw your WhatsApp and Insta Stories), you finally launch your startup. You have made it. Your neighbours hail you, and your LinkedIn profile says ‘startup owner’
However, after all the hype and packaging, your business is stagnant and ‘Aki and Paw Paw’ memes keep haunting your dreams for the money you don’t have. We have come up with eight solid reasons this might be happening.
1. Your village people: Of course, your village people have been ‘setting leg’ for you. They have tied your destiny on a tree and have decided that you will continue to wait for your favourite celebrity’s giveaway before you make it.
2. You don’t have good management skills: It’s not like your business idea is bad oh, but you lack management skills. If you want to know if you have good management skills, look at the way you share food in your family.
3. No Money or investor: Your bank is one minute away from donating to you so your account balance will enter 4 digits. Also, the day angels were sharing grace for all those Unicorn tech companies, you were eating semo.
Now see your life, no money, no investor, no partnerships or mergers, just semo and vibes.
4. Your branding sucks: In this life, if you don’t ‘package’ yourself well, you have lost the plot.
Your startup might be the best thing since moin moin with seven lives but if you don’t know how to transform it into a brand, well then why are you surprised your business is not growing?
5. Bad belle staff: See ehn, not everybody that is unemployed is looking for a job. Be wise while choosing the people to work for you. If you don’t choose well your receptionist will have more power than the board of directors.
6. Terrible people skills: You are always beefing everybody. Your customers find it hard to look beyond your terrible people skills to enjoy your product. (Also you add ‘DM for price’ to your caption).
7. Government Policies: Well……*coughs*
8. You and you alone: Maybe you just aren’t cut out for the CEO lifestyle or you don’t have an idea of what to do. It really can be that simple.
Now that we’ve figured out some of the problems, we will give you a solution because we want the best for you. ALAT by Wema is hosting the second session of its Talk Series at 4:00 pm today, August 26, 2021. This edition is specifically tailored to startup and business owners.
Tomiwa Aladekomo, CEO Big Cabal Media; Adaora Mbelu, Founder Lumina Global Network and Femi Akinfolarin, Head of Corporate Strategy, Wema Bank will speak on ‘developing and sustaining the startups of the future.’ Each speaker will share insights into their experience and the tools that can help with sustaining the ventures that will survive.
Before you try to wash your head in any lagoon, register for the session HERE. After the session, the head washing can begin.