On the surface, most of the things you’ll find inside this post sound like harmless banter. But for someone who is going through it financially, it’s the last thing they want to hear. If you say any of this and you get the stink eye, don’t act surprised. We’ve said our own.
1. “I’m poor” from someone who is rich
We all know you’re only saying this to sound relatable. But can you, like, not do that? Enjoy the ₦30bn in your account and let the rest of us deal with our brokenness in peace.
2. “Send funds/ Do giveaway”
After using the last cash on me to buy suya and doing a series of mental calculations on how to manage what remains in my account until the next payday, you are asking me to send you money. You’re definitely bad vibes.
3. “You will save more if you spend less”
Oshey, expense tracker. Budget planner to mad! But we will have a problem if you can’t show me a practical way to do this.
4. When you’re tired to do something and someone casually says “Outsource it now.”
Oya, as you have said this now, press ₦5k into my hands and make the quality of my life better.
5. “Dollars price has increased”
Great, now I have to save more money and wait for some more time before I can afford to buy this thing. Sapa, nice one.
6. When you splurge on something nice and someone says “That’s why you don’t have money.”
Na broke I broke, I also like nice things. But wait sef, were you there when I was saving for this thing?
7. When someone calls you “Boss/My oga”
God, when will someone tell me this and it won’t feel like they are mocking me?